As a business owner or entrepreneur, you likely wear many hats and have a lot on your plate. It can be easy to forget the importance of expressing gratitude to your team, but doing so can make a world of difference in terms of morale, motivation, and productivity.
Let’s take a look at why you should express gratitude to your team and how doing so can benefit your business.
The Importance of Expressing Gratitude
The research is clear: Gratitude is good for you. It improves well-being, reduces stress, and builds resilience. It can even make you more patient. When you express gratitude to your team, you’re acknowledging their hard work and letting them know that their efforts are appreciated. This simple act can go a long way in terms of boosting morale and maintaining a positive work environment. Moreover, studies have shown that expressing gratitude can actually increase productivity. One 2014 study found that employees who felt appreciated were more than twice as likely to say they’d go above and beyond for their company. Studies have also shown “that when people feel grateful, they’re willing to devote more effort to help others, to be loyal even at a cost to themselves, and to split profits equally with partners rather than take more money for themselves,” wrote professor David DeSteno, who studies the ways in which emotions guide our decisions and behaviors.
How to Show Gratitude to Your Team
There are many ways to show your team that you appreciate their hard work. Here are a few ideas:
Publicly recognize their accomplishments.
This could be done at team meetings, in company-wide emails, or even on social media.
Give them opportunities to grow and learn.
Investing in your team’s development sends the message that you value their skills and want them to excel within the company.
Say “thank you.”
These two words go a long way! Be sure to take the time to thank your team members individually for their contributions. A handwritten note or small gift is always appreciated.
As a business owner or entrepreneur, it’s important to express gratitude to your team. Doing so boosts morale, increases productivity, and shows your team members that their hard work is appreciated. There are many ways to show your appreciation, including publicly recognizing accomplishments, investing in development, and simply saying “thank you.” Taking the time to express gratitude will benefit both you and your team!
How to Show Gratitude In Your Daily Life
Remember you have to use gratitude like a muscle, the more you give gratitude the stronger it gets. I want to share 5 ways you can practice Thanksgiving every day of the year.
1. Write down three things you are grateful for each day in a journal. Truly thinking and writing it down will bring it to the forefront of your mind.
2. Send two thank you cards to people you are thankful for each week. Share with them why you appreciate them and how they make an impact on your business or life.
3. Show your appreciation to your staff in simple ways like: thank you, I appreciate what you did on that project, your work on this project made all the difference. Simple but sincere compliments will impact their performance in positive ways.
4. Start a gratitude journal for your spouse and every day write down one reason you are grateful for them. At Thanksgiving next year, give this gift to her. I guarantee it will be the BEST gift she has ever received.
5. Show small ways you are thankful and grateful for the most important people in your life. Write notes, send texts, take pictures, and send a video. You decide on a way that makes them feel special. When you take the time it will make all the difference in the world to them.
Happy Thanksgiving! I want each of you to know I am thankful for you and your business. I hope you enjoy Thanksgiving with your family and friends.
Make it a GREAT day!