Carrie Tergin is the mayor of Jefferson City, lifelong resident of Jefferson City, owner of Carrie’s Hallmark Shop, and currently chairs the Board of Governors at her Alma Mater, Missouri State University.
Her knowledge of business and strong ties with her family are what she says shapes her vision for the city. Carrie helped her family run their Jefferson City business as a child. Now, Carrie says learning customer service from her parents has given her a sense of pride, but she also has a great appreciation for their many years of hard work.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Google, or listen here:
- Carrie has a Hallmark store in downtown Jefferson City.
- Her parents named it after her when she was 4 years old.
- She has always loved coming downtown for the parades.
- Carrie learned to count money from her grandparents by working in their business.
- Went to the store after school each day and that is where she learned a lot of business concepts.
- Carries grandfather immigrated from Greece as a young boy.
- He came through Missouri and saw the Capitol Building and he knew this is where he wanted to be.
- Lived and worked within a block of the Capitol his entire life.
- Started with nothing.
- He had numerous businesses.
- Always said, “You can have anything in America if you just work hard and treat people right.”
- The habit that she believes has led to her success is believing in herself. (Self-doubt doesn’t get you anywhere)
- She lost a city council race and came back the next year to win the mayoral election.
- “Things don’t happen to you it’s how you react to them.”
- There can be so many struggles and challenges each day but never let it get you down.
- “If you think negatively it will affect everything about you.”
- “If you smile you get a smile back.”
- In your business, you have to be constantly looking at the business and looking at customer shopping patterns.
- Support local businesses.
- In your business, if you are not good with social media one of your employees might be. It can empower your staff.
- Jefferson City:
- Has the best people.
- Very giving community.
- Have to look at the assets
- Seat of State Government
- Capitol City
- Only city to have all three of these:
- Historic Prison
- Her favorite project has been the Missouri State Penitentiary Redevelopment
- Historic Tours
- Concert inside the walls
- Get your copy of Positive Culture Wins at Carrie’s Hallmark or Downtown Books 2
- It’s about helping each other out and having a positive attitude in life.
- Getting active in your community:
- You get back what you put into it.
- Take the initiative to open those doors for you.
- Be Active and go to those functions.
Carrie Tergin’s Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life. How you set your mind to react to things. Don’t let your mind get too overwhelmed and know that you can manage and balance things.
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? Going to events and getting involved – you feed off of that energy and bring that energy back into your life. Give people the time of day and show that you care.
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life. Family
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? “Go after your dreams.”
- Recommend a book and share why you love it. The city council packet (Tune into what the city is doing.) or Positive Culture Wins, In Business & Life
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world. “To enjoy life.”
Piece of guidance
Don’t give up and face your challenges