Ep: 022 Doberman Dan
Doberman Dan is a 33-year serial entrepreneur, A-list copywriter and three-time international best selling author. In his spare time he’s also a professional musician and composer.
He has started numerous info product businesses and four different nutritional supplement businesses. He is regularly hired to write sales copy for some of the most successful direct response marketers and publishers in the country.
Dan has been publishing The Doberman Dan Letter since 2011 and has many of the most successful online marketers in the world as subscribers.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or listen here:
- Doberman Dan has been s serial entrepreneur for 30 years.
- He says it has just been him starting new businesses until he gets the right one.
- Doberman Dan says that he actually stumbled unto the entrepreneur thing
- Someone encouraged him to join the Amway business and was an entrepreneur part-time for 9 years.
- He did businesses like home improvement and vending.
- Then he discovered direct response marketing. (pre-internet days)
- He decided to start a mail order business.
- The habit that has led to his success has be how he has to force himself into habits, most of which rely around writing.
- Between certain hours each day he writes.
- Just Sell The Damn Thing: The proven, contrarian formula to GROW your business FASTER than ever
- His book talks about avoiding the opt-ins and going straight for the sale.
- He suggests two different approaches to selling.
- If you are a service provider:
- Better served to catch a lead
- Offer something of value (hot button)
- Give them a report on something relevant
- Capture contract information and give them the report
- Capture their email and phone number
- Follow up with them by email and then by phone
- If you are a thought leader:
- Offer high value service
- Just sell them something and it doesn’t matter the price
- You will have a smaller lister but the quality of that person will be a lot higher
- Psychology thing (If you give away your IP then you place no value on your IP)
- This will give you a much higher value list
- If you are a service provider:
- You really just need to become an expert and you need to be selling online to make it these days
- New online business:
- Target a market that there is proof of what people are buying
- Sell food to starving people (you don’t want to have to educate the people before you can sell to them.)
- Doberman Dan encourages you to get to the money part as fast as possible.
- Baby boomers and seniors control 70% of the discretionary income. This can be a great market to target.
- Focus on selling people more of what they are already buying or just an improved version of what they are already buying.
- There are two key philosophies in sales
- I just want to sell something but it doesn’t matter what it is.
- Find something that you are passionate about and build a business around it.
- It is easier to make money when you are selling a high priced item.
- Doberman Dan likes to work within the demographics that control the discretionary income and go after the affluent population of that market.
- How to double your sales in 59 days or less (not guaranteed just has worked for most people)
- Most business owners and entrepreneurs do a bad job at selling to their existing customers because the sexy part is finding all the new customers.
- Most people want to be the one that cracks the code to get hundreds of customers a day.
- Business owners think their problems will be solved with more customers.
- If you don’t have systems in place to work with the backend and customers that you already have, you will just go out of business faster.
- The price of customer acquisition is higher than ever.
- Some businesses are breaking even acquiring a customer but most of them are losing money acquiring a customer.
- If you have a system in place you can find the 20% of your customers that are responsible for 80% of your total sales.
- To sell to your current customers, identify customers that recently bought again from you and make them a special offer.
- What Doberman Dan learned from being a cop:
- He got a crash course on street level survival
- He figured out his people skills
- The power of words is about what you say and how you say it
- Violence is rarely the answer
- He had a 12 gage shotgun in his face and he disarmed the man with words.
- You have to develop empathy with someone right away.
Doberman Dan’s Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? In the past he would have told you that wasn’t for him but then he hit a wall.
Now he does more work on mindset compared to everything else in his business
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? Asks how would someone act that had the energy
Physiology comes first
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? Gary Halbert-copywriting expert
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? “Motion beats meditation” (Any action is the best thing you can do)
- Recommend a book and share why you love it?
Just Sell The Damn Thing: The proven, contrarian formula to GROW your business FASTER than ever
The Rookie Copywriter’s Survival Guide: How To Make Six Figures With Little Or No Copywriting Experience… And Without Chasing After Clients!
Supplement Marketing Secrets: How to DOUBLE the Profits of Any Supplement Business in the Next 6 to 12 Months
As a Man Thinketh: 21st Century Edition (The Wisdom of James Allen)
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world? “A guy that loved people.”
Piece of Guidance:
“The only thing more powerful than the word is the act”
For more great episodes of the CHARGE Podcast head over to ChargePodcast.com