Ep: 046 Steve Harper
Steve Harper has become one of the most sought after speakers and business strategists on the power of deepening and strengthening the power of connections through a process he calls “Rippling.” Steve’s unique and refreshing approach to how and why individuals, organizations and even our society can and must reach outside the box to connect, is literally changing lives and impacting corporate bottom line dollars.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or listen here:
Join us and “Dream to Achieve” at goascend.biz/dreamtoachieve!
- Every action has a reaction.
- Being early is the habit that has lead to success in Steve’s life.
- He uses the time when he is early in the morning to center on being purposeful with his actions.
- He meditates for 15-20 minutes each day which helps anchor himself.
- The ripple effect says that through each of our actions we have an impact on others and the world around us.
- You never know who’s watching but the ripples of your actions always come back.
- Imagine it like tossing a stone in the water. You take an action and the ripples of your action come back to you.
- Social media is transactional. It does not build relationships.
- It is important to know who needs to hear from you this week and what do you need to do now to start building that relationship.
- People want to know that you’re not just talking to them or taking time to know them just so that you can sell them something.
- Social media augments your other interactions. It does not substitute.
- You have to be purposeful, upfront, and honest with people.
- I want to know you more because you’re important to me.
- One stands out when you stop and deviate from the norm.
- Steve says that a networking mistake he sees in the world is that people have started treating LinkedIn as professional Facebook.
- People rush connections and send an invitation after meeting someone once and exchange business cards.
- People are worried about missing their next big connection, but the reality is that if you don’t take time to build that relationship, you won’t be offered benefits from that connection anyway.
- Use someone’s business card to get to know them personally. Call them. Invite them to get coffee.
- Your business network is your business asset that you’ll always retain. It’s one of the most important assets you’ll ever have.
- Ask yourself if this is someone that you’re willing to spend time to get to know better?
- Figure out where you can create positive ripples for someone.
- Spread the wealth. Who else would benefit from knowing this person?
- It isn’t quantity, it’s quality.
- The 8 minute ripple is all about trying to help people connect through fun questions.
- Don’t make networking so daunting. Just make it about getting to know people and make fun connections.
- For Charger Podcast Subscribers that order a copy of Steve’s book through his website, he will send an autographed copy.
Steve Harper’s Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? Mindset is everything. If your mind isn’t right, your life isn’t right. It helps set things into motion each day.
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? He will talk to people within his network to help him recharge by taking a moment to say thanks.
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? Jay Stevenson was his marketing class teacher freshman year of high school and really influenced him. His dad also has been a big supporter all of his life.
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? “To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, and to be late is to be dead.” Do not disrespect someone by being late, show them you care by being early.
- Recommend a book and share why you love it? The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world? He wants to have helped people connect.
Sign Up to Dream to Achieve!
Order your copy of Positive Culture Wins HERE!