Ep: 058 Matthew Brandt
Matthew Brandt is a Navy veteran and has worked 30 years in law enforcement. He has seen it all, and probably twice. From working robbery/homicide to becoming a founder member for the Department of Homeland Security he has taken lessons from interviewing the worst society has to offer. Convincing them to do the right thing has given him the ability to learn and use those same techniques to teach supervisors and leaders at all levels to stand up to the bully in your office and address the issues.
Matthew Brandt is a member of the National Speakers Association and the Global Speakers Federation. As a Senior Advisor with the Department of Homeland Security, Matthew is an international speaker that has provided keynotes and training programs across the globe. He has been speaking professionally for over five years and holds a Master’s Degree in Organizational Management. He lives in Fort Worth, Texas with his wife, Beth.
We want your feedback on the CHARGE Podcast. We want to learn what you, our listener, think of the podcast. This will allow us to improve our podcast.
To thank you for sharing your input we will send you a FREE CHARGER t-shirt.
- Matthew’s biggest habit is getting up early and doing something actionable.
- Matthew shares a story about accountability from his time working in the White House.
- Accountability is about changing behavior in the moment.
- Authority = Actions = Accountability.
- It all has to be equal.
- Greater responsibility requires greater authority.
- People don’t like confrontation, so it’s important to take the emotion out of confrontation and listen.
- You can have authority, but if you don’t commit to action your authority doesn’t matter.
- However, sometimes inaction is the best action.
- The Car Effect
- Customer Service – Accountability – Refuse to Lose
- A mindset of refusing to lose helps set up a situation where you’re better equipped to win the conversation.
- It’s Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy by D. Michael Abrashoff
- Empowerment makes a difference.
- It’s good to turn duties over to others.
- Trust your employees more to make good decisions.
- Do a self-assessment of where you are as a (new) supervisor.
- What is it that you need to be successful right now?
- Do you understand everything you need to?
Matthew Brandt’s Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? It’s all about mindset. Life is difficult without a positive mindset.
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? He takes action early on which gets him going. He reads something.
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? His connection with the President and First Lady Reagan.
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? “You’re going to make some mistakes in life and some of them are going to be bigger than others. This was one of the biggest ones you could’ve made, but you survived. Learn from it.”
- Recommend a book and share why you love it? Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world? He wants to help people communicate because he sees people losing touch in having conversations and losing the ability to talk and understand which affects leadership.
Get your free audiobook HERE
Order your copy of Positive Culture Wins HERE!