Sonja Stetzler is an executive communications coach and owner of Effective Connecting, a training company specializing in developing and improving employees’ communication skills. One of her programs, Conversational Intelligence (R), teaches how quality conversations shift body chemistry and guide our ability to develop trust and build better relationships. This translates into increasing employee engagement, reduced turnover, higher productivity, and success in the business world.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or listen here:
- Sonja’s greatest habit has been becoming a tiny habits coach.
- Our brain likes automize our actions into habits.
- Developing a tiny habit is about having a trigger (something you do everyday.)
- For Sonja, she says that she will have a great day after her alarm goes off in the morning.
- Conversational intelligence is about creating a safe environment, inclusive for everyone where they feel comfortable creating solutions together.
- It is essential to create an environment of trust that helps people become engaged and reduces turnover which will thus increase profitability.
- When we build trust, we change our body chemistry and those around us.
- Through inclusivity, we produce more oxytocin and dopamine which are feel-good hormones.
- When we shut people down it raises their cortisol (the stress hormone) which causes people to withdraw and disengage thus reducing productivity.
- The 10 minute huddle is a way to gather your team before the day and tackle possible challenges.
- Trust is like filling a balloon with air.
- Once there is distrust, you can never fill the balloon back up.
- Sonja says not to react to statements but to utilize the double click method.
- “So, tell me more.”
- Through using this statement, you can get a more complete picture and open up the conversation for more dialogue.
- It can help employees solve problems by looking at the problem more.
- “So, tell me more.”
- Conflict is healthy, but conflict avoidance is unhealthy.
- Make sure everyone is heard from so you can get to wherever you aspire to be.
- Three ways to start to implement these actions:
- Prime for trust.
- Ask questions for which you don’t have the answers.
- Listen to connect.
Sonja Stetzler’s Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? It’s all about mindset. How you think affects your behavior.
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? Being active and doing something physical brings her energy.
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? She’s a culmination of everyone that she’s ever met.
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? Her dad lived his life joyously and preserved. To keep pushing and moving forward even though things get tough.
- Recommend a book and share why you love it? One Small Step Could Change Your Life by Dr. Robert Maurer
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world? She wants to leave a legacy all about communication and making a connection. If you’re not making a connection with your audience, then they aren’t getting your message. The most important thing that we can do is connect with one another.
Order your copy of Positive Culture Wins HERE!