Steve Hughes is a professional speaker who helps people look and sound smart when they talk. He’s the author of the book “Captivate” and he’s been featured on NPR, BBC Radio, and in The Wall Street Journal. He’s a former co-owner of an advertising agency and he lives in St. Louis with his wife and their two well behaved daughters.
- Steve’s number one habit is actively and smartly saying yes more than he says no.
- Most people say no.
- If you say yes to things, you’re rewarded to a life of adventure and excitement. If you say no to things, you’re rewarded to a life of security and safety.
- Which will you choose?
- Every good thing in life starts with a yes.
- Upwards of 70% of our self-talk is negative.
- “I’m not good enough/smart enough/etc.
- Our first big yes has to be to ourselves internally.
- Accept what they give you and move on.
- Don’t let fear conquer you.
- We fall into a trap of thinking that if something didn’t work before it won’t work now.
- Think of all the variables and what might have caused it to not work.
- We think at extremes.
- Try looking at the area between the two extremes your mind jumps too.
- Even if you don’t want to say yes fully to something, you can still say yes to a tweaked but still adventurous idea.
- Just don’t shut down the idea completely.
- Don’t block and deny other people. Say yes to them and they’ll open up.
- A simple way to help people feel engaged is listening.
- 3 Things are needed in a relationship:
- People need to feel understood.
- People need to feel validated.
- People need to feel cared for.
- 20 Years from now you will be a lot more upset by the things you didn’t do than you did do.
Steve Hughes’s Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? What starts with a yes leads to a spirit of positivity and openness. Being positive is contagious.
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? He stays open and asks himself “what could happen today?”
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? His connection with his dad and his connection with his friend who invited him to speak at his law firm.
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? His dad told him to just get out there and go for it. He told him to be true to his family and if something isn’t working, change gears.
- Recommend a book and share why you love it? The Dip by Seth Godin
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world? He wants to live a life of integrity and positive impact so that his family will be able to add to that legacy and move on. He wants to make an impact from the positive business perspective, from the friend perspective, and from the religious perspective.
Steve’s Book: Captivate
Order your copy of Positive Culture Wins HERE!