As a high performance coach, Marilise de Villiers’s passion is helping people grow, be successful and happy. She runs her own business, working predominantly with cybersecurity executives to promote the integral role that people and organizational cultures play in keeping society safe in our digital world. Find out more at www.marilise-de-villiers.com
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or listen here:
- Marilise’s number one habit is being disciplined in terms of her daily activity.
- She has a really structured exercise and nutrition plan.
- Marilise’s book, ROAR, talks about the silent epidemic around workplace bullying.
- It’s a very prominent issue but is not dealt with or seen much.
- Workplace bullying is a constant, repeated, health-harming mistreatment of one or more persons by one or more perpetrators within the workplace.
- Bullying takes place through threats, humiliation, and/or intimidation.
- Workplace bullying is work sabotage and affects the performance of individuals and a company.
- Bullies in a workplace often target the highest performers.
- Bullies think they need to win at whatever cost.
- There is a 4 step ROAR process for dealing with difficult situations:
- R – Recognize the behaviors.
- O – Observe and stay present. Stay calm.
- A – Assert. Tell someone what impact their behaviors have on you. Ask them to help you understand what the problem is.
- Don’t let the bully take away your power.
- R – Redirect the conversation to win-win outcomes. Use inclusive language (us/we) instead of exclusive language (I/you).
- Get honest. Get clear. And get help.
- We’re always figuring things out.
- Marilise has a 5 step process that she used for writing her book:
- You have to find or reignite your purpose. Find a why bigger than yourself.
- Momentum. You can get momentum from the belief that you can do it, but you must also take massive action.
- Game plan. The game plan isn’t fixed. It changes and adapts as you go.
- Creativity. We can all be creative, and it’s so important to our being who we are. Think outside of the box.
- Ability. You need to get skills, knowledge, and habits to do it.
- Just have a go!
- Don’t think about it too much.
- You have to have non-negotiables and you have to start somewhere.
Marilise De Villiers’ Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? Mindset is everything. Chapter 6 of Marilise’s book is called Winning the Inner Game. Thoughts are so powerful
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? She does mindset work daily. She innersizes which is kind of like meditation and sets her frame of mind.
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? The connection with her husband who has been her life coach and partner.
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? “Perfection is the enemy of good enough.” “Progress not perfection.”
- Recommend a book and share why you love it? The Infinite Game by Simon Sinek and Becoming by Michelle Obama
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world? She wants to leave a legacy of kindness and wants people to be consciously kind.
ROAR: How to Tame the Bully Inside and Out
Order your copy of Positive Culture Wins HERE!