Ep: 003 John O’Leary
“Kid wake up, wake up, you are going to live, you are going to survive, keep fighting. John O’Leary day at the ballpark will make it all worthwhile. Keep fighting!”
What if one message could change your life?
What if one man could provide hope that the best is yet to come?
This man is John O’Leary.
As a nine-year-old boy, John was burned on 100% of his body and given less than one percent chance to live. His amazing journey of survival illustrates the incredible power of the human Spirit.
John and his family kept their experience private until his parents wrote a book, Overwhelming Odds, to thank the family and friends who supported them on their journey of healing.
This book led to organizations around the world requesting to hear first-hand how John defied the odds. Since then, John has empowered over 500,000 people to Live Inspired.
In March 2016, his book On Fire: The 7 Choices to Ignite a Radically Inspired Life became an instant #1 National Bestseller.
John is a business owner, writer, husband and father of four.
Expected to die. Now, teaching others how to truly live.
Please help me welcome, John O’Leary.
- At age 9 John was playing with fire and gas.
- He saw boys doing it so he thought he could as well.
- The fumes took the flame into the tank.
- The tank exploded and threw his against a wall and burnt him on 100% of his body.
- Faith was a big part of who he was and who he still is today.
- Created a habit of leaning into others and learned that if you do that you can move mountains.
- “Don’t play smaller than God intended you to play.”
- Parents wrote a book called Overwhelming Odds as a thank you letter to their church. (It has now sold more than 75,000 copies)
- First talk was to a Girl Scout Troop and has just snowballed ever since.
- He is honored to be touching lives.
- Jack Buck gave him hope.
- As a chaplain, he had a patient with nothing tell him that he had been “Sprinting up the ladder of success but had it leaning against the wrong wall.”
- Says to “Be present where you are.”
- Nurse Roy gave him the mindset to be able to walk again
- Encourages you to turn off the news, and grow yourself by listening to podcasts, reading, setting goals and journaling daily.
John O’Leary’s Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.” Viktor E. Frankl
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? Journaling during his morning and evening ritual while asking “Why me?”; Living by his Mission Statement “I choose to thrive because God demands it, my family deserves it, and the world is starved for it.”; Living by the quote “I love you and there is nothing you can do about it.”
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? His wife who made him really get more serious about life.
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? “What more can I do?” Jack Buck
- Recommend a book and share why you love it? On Fire: The 7 Choices to Ignite a Radically Inspired Life, Overwhelming Odds, and Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Define in one sentence or less what legacy you want to leave on the world? “…act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8. Living by this he wants to leave the world a better place than when he came.
Piece of guidance
“Aim higher in your life”