Ep: 043 Michele Spry
Michele Spry is a children’s author, businesswoman, philanthropist, daughter, sister, aunt and wife. She lives her life by the motto “Pay it Forward”, and works each day to make a positive impact in her community and beyond. She volunteers with Honor Everywhere, Central Missouri Honor Flight, Chamber of Commerce Ambassadors and a Partner in Education at Midway Heights Elementary School (the school she attended K-6th grade).
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or listen here:
- The habit that has led to Michele Spry’s success has been being kind, giving back, and inspiring others.
- She met her husband in high school and they have been married for 21 years.
- From a young age Michele Spry knew that she wanted to start a business.
- She didn’t go to college but knew how to work hard.
- Michele and her husband have owned their business for 17 years now.
- She has authored two books:
- A Trip to Remember
- Tom T’s Hat Rack
- It has been scary writing books because you never know if people will really like the book or not.
- The support for the books has been great.
- She is self-published and each book tells a different story.
- A Trip to Remember
- This book was inspired by her work with the Central Missouri Honor Flight.
- She wanted to pay it forward and find a WWII veteran that they could take on the journey.
- Lessons from the book are honor and respect
- She also wanted to impact the students that she talked to.
- She needed a WWII veteran that had not been on the honor flight yet.
- One day she met Lt. Colonel Purdy who came in to get his lamp fixed.
- She said him, “Mr. Purdy, are you a veteran?” His simple reply was, “I am a Marine Fighter Pilot from World War II.”
- She asked him to go on the Honor Flight and he kept turning her down.
- Eventually he said he would tell her his story if she would stop asking about the Honor Flight.
- She reunited Mr. Purdy with his wing man who he gave credit to for saving his life.
- The second plane in his logbook was a Corsair that is owned by Planes of Fame.
- It had been decommissioned and used in the television show, Baa Baa Black Sheep.
- The plane had been restored to flying conditions
- It was verified that this was the exact plane that he flew in WWII.
- On June 16, 2016 they made history by finding a person that had flown this plane.
- She was able to help raise money to bring the plane to Columbia, Missouri for the men to fly in again.
- It was amazing seeing the veteran reunited to the plane that he flew in.
- For more information on these stories check out Michele’s Website.
- For Honor Flight, there are 137 hubs around the country.
- It was created for WWII veterans to see their memorials.
- Central Missouri is one of the premier Honor Flights. They have taken 55 flights and over 4,000 veterens.
- It is hard to process everything that goes on during a flight.
- Honor Everywhere with Sarah Hill
- This is the next best thing when Honor Flight is not an option.
- It is a Virtual Reality (VR) experience that was captured during a Central Missouri Honor Flight.
- This might be the only chance for some veterans to experience the memorials.
- In VR you are immersed in what you would be seeing if you were there.
- In these difficult times in our country, we have to have communication and discuss the things that are going on.
- This will help you to see all side of the argument.
- Paying it forward
- Going through Starbucks she wanted to buy a solider his drink and just tell him to have a good day.
- This created a spirit in her to do it more often and as much as she can.
- We have to realize all of the blessings that we have.
- There are a few ways that she gets through the busy and stressful parts of her day:
- She writes a list of things that she needs to do.
- Some days go really smooth and other days do not.
- Learning that it is alright to say no.
- Find your focus
- Support the Central Missouri Honor Flight
Michele Spry’s Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? Being kind and showing kindness creates a positive mindset.
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? She puts a positive attitude out there.
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? Sarah Hill: Her passion towards Veterans.
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? “Used negative advice to prove it to him that she did not need a degree to be successful”
“There isn’t anything that you can’t do, just things you haven’t tried yet”
- Recommend a book and share why you love it? A Trip to Remember
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world? “Be the change you want to see in this world” by Gandhi
Connect with Michele through social media or on her website when you order a book and your book will be signed by Mr. Purdy and she will also throw in a copy of her first book, Tom T’s Hat Rack, as well.
Piece of Guidance:
Make a positive affect anywhere that you go
Get your FREE 7 Days of Charge Program HERE!
Order your copy of Positive Culture Wins HERE!