Ep: 047 Derrich Phillips
Derrich Phillips was born and raised in Gary, Indiana. He joined the army at age 18 and served 4 years. During his last year in the army, he was deployed to Iraq. He has worked in the Cyber Security field for over 15 years now and has traveled to over 30 countries, living in 5 of them. Derrich received an MBA from GCU in 2012. He has been married to his wife Requill for 3 years. They don’t have any kids but do have a 4 year old girl boxer. Derrich hosts a weekly podcast that focuses on helping people follow their passions to land their dream career.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or listen here:
Join us and “Dream To Achieve” at goascend.biz/dreamtoachieve!
- Derrich says that the discipline of doing what you have to do regardless of discomfort has helped him be successful.
- He has also taken calculated risks. He hasn’t been afraid to do things that most people wouldn’t do, but he’s also been informed and prepared to take those risks.
- Derrich grew up poor and didn’t really know his father.
- He had to be conscious of himself and who surrounded him.
- Sports helped him keep out of trouble.
- In order to overcome hard times, Derrich says that it’s important to identify positive influences.
- Find people who can serve as mentors or support.
- Think of all the things that you’ve already overcome. They’ve helped make you stronger.
- What helped you get through that?
- Don’t give up. There is always someone around.
- Derrich’s core values are integrity and selfless service.
- Integrity is doing what’s right even when no one is watching.
- Selfless service is serving others without expecting anything in return. The sense of pride and accomplishment you receive is reward enough.
- During his time in Iraq, Derrich noticed that the people there are grateful for basic things and that they’re happy without having a lot.
- Derrich felt the need to catch up after returning to the U.S. and pursued career decisions based on money, but that made him unhappy.
- He enjoys inspiring and motivating others.
- People sacrifice their happiness to try to chase money, but really they want to feel like they make a difference.
- Identify how you can help others and then they’ll want to help you.
- Be persistent.
- If you text mentorselect to 66866, you will receive a free ebook from Derrich Phillips.
Derrich Phillips’ Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? Mindset is critical because the mind controls everything. By expanding your mindset, you can dream bigger and do more.
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? He meditates and exercises regularly as well as spending quality time with his wife and reading.
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? His wife has helped him become more focused and disciplined.
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? “Treat others how you want to be treated.”
- Recommend a book and share why you love it? The 10X Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure by Grant Cardone
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world? He wants to be remembered for giving more than he took.
Sign Up to Dream to Achieve!
Get your free audiobook HERE
Order your copy of Positive Culture Wins HERE!