Ep: 066 Molly McPherson
Molly McPherson, M.S., APR, combines her knowledge of current communication practices with years of news and PR experience to develop the right plans and messaging for clients to protect and build their reputations. Molly founded the Communicate with Confidence Leadership Training Program and frequently speaks on crisis communications, public relations and social media. Molly was Director of Communications for the Cruise Line International Association in Arlington, VA. More recently, she worked with FEMA’s Office of External Affairs during post-Hurricane Katrina efforts and helped launch their first social media program. She is firmly grounded in the 7 Co-op Principles that guide her training of CEOs, board directors, senior leadership & electric co-op employees.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or listen here:
- Molly makes habits that keep her on track and organized.
- She gets up and exercises everyday.
- Her analog planner is a book with the top three things to do daily.
- Her digital planner is an online program to coordinate what needs to be done with everyone.
- The digital age has improved but also worsened communication.
- People who feel comfortable using technology (people without fear) are able to better their communication.
- People with fear struggle with and are burdened by technology.
- You only have to embrace technology to a level that you’re comfortable with, but you should hire someone to deal with the things you are not comfortable with.
- You must be seen on:
- Google – Make sure you have a business page and that reviews are open.
- LinkedIn is important for your reputation.
- People want to be able to connect to you and see who you are.
- Twitter is fast and moves quickly.
- People are drawn to twitter because it’s news-breaking.
- Twitter is the way to be part of the conversation.
- Video is powerful, but viewers only have the patience for 60 seconds or less.
- Power speak vs. Weak speak
- Power speak is about speaking confidently and assertively.
- Weak speak is about one-downing yourself and saying “I’m sorry” and using filler words.
- Top things to consider with technology:
- Consider it. Eliminate the fear. Recognize what your challenges are. Social media is not just for young people. It’s intel.
- Be comfortable with branding yourself. It’s not about the organization, it’s about yourself.
- Check out Molly’s Confident Communication Podcast
- Free one page download at mollymcpherson.com/charge
Molly McPherson’s Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? Mindset revolves around hard work. It’s smart to work hard.
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? She drinks coffee and runs, but she also gains energy from the passion of doing what she does. Energy brings more energy.
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? She has benefited from a lot of mutual relationships. Look for as many connections as possible.
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? “Gather ye rosebuds while ye may while time is still a flying as the rosebuds that gather today will soon be a dying.” from a poem by Robert Herrick
- Recommend a book and share why you love it? The Four-Hour Workweek by Timothy Feriss
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world? She wants to be known as someone who served, sacrificed, and helped people replace the fear with fortitude.
Get your free audiobook HERE
Order your copy of Positive Culture Wins HERE!