Sarah McVanel helps leaders leverage the exponential power of recognition to retain top talent. She jokes it’s the only “lane” that pulls together her BA (Psych), MSc (Family Relations), 20 years practicing Organizational Development & certifications in Human Resources, Organizational Development, Coaching & Healthcare Admin! She is one of only 1500 people around the world with the esteemed CSP – Certified Speaking Professional – designation. Sarah left her senior leadership role 4 years ago to launch her boutique firm Greatness Magnified, authoring some books, VLOGing, tap dancing, & getting up to no good with her hubby Mark & kids Justin (16) & Simonne (14).
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or listen here:
- Sarah McVanel’s biggest habit is getting up early to make a cup of tea and read a novel that doesn’t deal with business.
- She zones in on some joy.
- Her entrepreneurship habit is setting a priorities list.
- How do you make decisions about the work you do?
- If your work and your priorities align, then do it!
- Charge into the things you love.
- When you do what you love, you do what you’re good at and can specialize in.
- Specializing in recognition is the best, most effective thing that Sarah had done in other businesses, so she decided to take it to the next level.
- If you charge forward without a direction, it’s like running around in the dark.
- You need clarity and knowing.
- You must position yourself and sell yourself.
- Sarah sold herself as being “only” 20 minutes away from Niagara Falls.
- Find out how your family wants to connect with you.
- ie: facetime, texting, calling, etc.
- “I do everything” = I do nothing.
- You’ll be further behind if you don’t make mistakes and try.
- Don’t be scared of failure.
- Failure is not necessarily problematic. It’s only problematic when you don’t get a lesson and don’t learn from it.
- Trademark something that is original to you and something that is yours.
- Every person needs to feel valued, appreciated, and heard.
- Check out Sarah’s book!!
Sarah McVanel’s Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? When you put out something that is about other people to help them then they’ll respond back and want what you have.
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? She recognizes people through send-out cards or she acknowledges a worker or someone around her in her daily actions.
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? Her biggest connection has been her mom. She believed she could do anything and that her daughters were the best human beings in the world.
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? “Follow what you’re most passionate about.”
- Recommend a book and share why you love it? Stop Playing Safe by Margie Warrell
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world? She wants to have two incredibly healthy happy purpose driven people who make other people’s lives better.
FROG: Forever Recognize Other’s Greatness
Order your copy of Positive Culture Wins HERE!