Jeff Butler is the author of two provocative books – The Authentic Workplace and The Key To The New You. Having written over 100 articles on workplace dynamics, his insights have been featured in dozens of media outlets such as Forbes and HR News. In addition, he has appeared on TEDx in both 2016 and 2017 with both talks focusing on psychology. Before Jeff founded his workplace consulting company, he spent almost a decade in Silicon Valley working as a Software Engineer which is where his initial interest in organization psychology began to develop. Since then, he has personally addressed over 100 organizations internationally on workplace dynamics issues such as Google, Amazon, LinkedIn, and Wells Fargo. He lives in Boston, MA with his family.
- Jeff’s biggest habit is making sure to always have a notebook with him to write down his goals first thing.
- There’s always a tension between older generations and younger generations in history.
- Thinking this tension is something new is bogus.
- The gap in understanding is due to a difference in expectations.
- The gap happens when what people are expecting of one another is not being met in the ways they see.
- Relationships in the workplace are like romantic relationships.
- Each person has different expectations of what the relationship means.
- Conflict occurs when two different people have two different expectations.
- We have to align our differences to one common goal.
- Identify where the grey areas are in your company.
- Ex: Who is allowed to take what time off?
- The level of quality across the board.
- Your culture.
- Different expectations of communication.
- Everyone in every environment is trying to keep fairness in some respect.
- When different groups meet there are 4 components to how they get along and work together cohesively:
- Equal status.
- Working toward a common goal.
- There is institutional support.
- As a leader, you need to realize if there is not an equal status environment.
- You can resolve this by doing service outside of your company which will help pull people together.
- What systems do you have in place so that you can harness the knowledge of other people?
- Oftentimes, your workers have the answers to your questions.
Jeff Butler’s Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? Mindset drives his actions. Therefore, an awful mindset will put up barriers that shut down options.
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? He takes out his journal and writes what’s on his mind for 20 minutes. He also goes for a quick run or does a simple work out.
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? His biggest connection is his high school track and field coach who was a 3 time Olympic hammer thrower.
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? “People who are older than me will have more wisdom.”
- Recommend a book and share why you love it? Maximum Achievement: Strategies and Skills That Will Unlock Your Hidden Powers to Succeed by Brian Tracy
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world? He wants to be remembered by being someone who explored the intricacies of the mind to see what people are capable of. He wants his legacy to be about really realizing the power and potential in an individual.
Order your copy of Positive Culture Wins HERE!