Ep: 051 Lisa Cummings
Lisa Cummings has delivered training & speaking events to over 11,500 participants in 14 countries. You can see her featured in places like Harvard Business Publishing, Training Magazine, and Forbes. She’s the CEO of a company called Lead Through Strengths.
When Lisa’s not out spotting strengths with teams, you’ll find her rescuing stray dogs or playing drums.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or listen here:
- Lisa has a habit of thinking about if what she is doing is helping her generate revenue or bring about a positive change. She calls this value generating activity and it helps her not get distracted by small things.
- She uses doorways as a prompt to help her rethink things.
- The Lens of Strengths is about focusing on your strengths and trying to improve them rather than always trying to improve all your weaknesses.
- The majority of people obsess about their weaknesses, but this isn’t helpful.
- Think about what you’re good at that others might not be as good at.
- If you play with your strengths, it increases your energy and productivity. It’s draining to push yourself to do things that you can’t do.
- Sometimes people do things or work jobs because they look nice on the outside or look nice to tell others, but they don’t actually like what they’re doing
- The “Achievement Trap” is when you achieve and people put more responsibility on you and then one day you realize that you’re not fulfilled by your work because you’re not doing what you want.
- Maybe you can’t change your role but you can use your strengths to take advantage of your job and better mold it to suit yourself.
- Performance goes up when everyone does their own thing.
- Lisa has different series of podcasts through the Lead Through Strengths banner where she talks about the different strengths and really elaborates on the topic.
Lisa Cummings’ Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? Mindset is everything. We make meaning of everything we see and mindset allows you to reframe things through your strengths.
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? Lisa belly breathes and plays drums to bring energy into her life. She also plays to her strengths and makes a mental shift to what she would do to conquer whatever challenging situation she might be in.
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? Someone she worked with back in 2002 has really helped her make a lot of connections and has been influential in helping Lisa get big business.
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? “Act like your grandma is watching.”
- Recommend a book and share why you love it? First, Break All the Rules: What the Greatest Managers Do Differently by Marcus Buckingham and the Gallup Organization
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world? She wants it to be known that every person has a gift to offer the world.
Sign Up to Dream to Achieve!
Order your copy of Positive Culture Wins HERE!