Roderic Yapp is an experienced speaker, facilitator, and coach who specializes in developing leaders by changing the way people think and behave.
A former Royal Marines Officer, Yapp was fortunate enough to lead Marines on operations around the world. The highlights of his career include leading thirty Royal Marines into combat on the front-line in Afghanistan and the evacuation of civilians from Libya during the Arab Spring. Roderic also led the recapture of the 55,000-ton MV Montecristo from pirate control in 2011, as part of a NATO counter-piracy task force off the Somali coast.
Roderic joined the Urenco Group in 2012 where he was responsible for coaching and developing leaders using an Operational Excellence model. In 2015, he founded Leadership Forces which focuses on developing leaders within organizations. His clients include HSBC, Deloitte, Jaguar, Land Rover, Rolls Royce, and Nato.
- Roderic’s number one habit is taking in good quality information and content every day.
- It will affect how you think.
- Reading a little bit of quality every day adds up.
- One of the important mantras that Roderic follows is:
- “Look after the men, everything else will take care of itself.”
- Helping your team members improve is the best way to impact your customers and increase the productivity of your business.
- You’ve got to learn to trust your intuition,
- If something is wrong, fix it quickly and then look and see what’s been causing the problem and resolve that.
- Roderic has a series of 6 foundations that will help you be successful.
- A sense of self-awareness.
- The team decides if you’re a good leader or not.
- Understanding of the context.
- It’s about being able to adjust your behavior to get the best out of a situation.
- Being decisive.
- You have to be comfortable with making decisions off of incomplete data.
- Not making a decision is, in fact, making a decision.
- Create clarity.
- Create organization clarity through mission and vision statements.
- Create clarity every day by specifying what actions we are going to take.
- You have to be willing to put yourself out there and say what you are going to do. Have people hold you accountable.
- It’s also about not forgetting what you ask others to do.
- Strong relationships.
- You can’t build a team or support them or drive them if you’re not able to establish a strong foundation of trust.
- A sense of self-awareness.
- Leaders need to understand the contexts of their behaviors and the systems in which they act.
- Good leadership requires things such as challenging individuals and the ability to be empathetic.
- Often times the best sales makers are promoted in organizations to be department leaders, but these aren’t always the best team leaders.
- It is important to find someone who understands how teams and groups work cohesively and what makes them do better.
- People have been conditioned to invest a lot in what they want to do well in.
- Psychologically we invest a lot in the work we do.
- Going from very good to excellent at something requires developing your personality away from your performance.
- They are two different things.
- When inviting feedback, you have to do it in a way that people want to give it to you.
- We’re all leaders.
- The way children behave is a reflection on how you interact with them.
Roderic Yapp’s Recharge Round
- Share with us how you believe your mindset affects your life? Mindset is everything. You have to recognize that every day you start from a pretty good point.
- What do you do daily to bring Energy into your life? He changes his physical state. He goes outside and practices meditation.
- Share the number one connection that has made the biggest impact on your life? His father.
- What advice has Influenced you the most in your life? “Don’t do what everyone else does. Seek different experiences.”
- Recommend a book and share why you love it? The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey and Stoicism and the Art of Happiness by Donald Robertson
- Define in one sentence or less, what legacy you want to leave on the world? He wants to leave the legacy of better leaders. He wants to change a lot of people who will affect lots of people down the world.
Check out Roderic’s website at leadershipforces.com!
Order your copy of Positive Culture Wins HERE!