CULTIVATE POSITIVE CULTURE
Order it here:
Sarah Baker Andrus is the founder and CEO of Avarah Careers, a career coaching business. She’s worked on all sides of the hiring equation, as a recruiter, hiring manager, and a career counselor, serving in the corporate world, non-profits, and academia. When it comes to the hiring process and how it works from the inside, she’s seen it all.
What’s her favorite thing to do? Help others find work that makes them feel great about getting out of bed in the morning! She loves guiding people through the job search process to land that job where they can thrive. Her goal is to share the strategies that separate a successful candidate from the ones who struggle, so that ambitious, motivated, early to mid-career professionals, and career changers, don’t have to feel stuck anymore. Since most of us spend more than half of our waking hours working, we can all benefit in life-changing ways by making that professional leap with her expertise.
In addition to leading Avarah Careers, she currently teaches as an adjunct professor and serves as the Assistant Director of Career Services at the University of Delaware, coaching MBA students and alumni. When she’s not working, she enjoys reading, writing, good food & wine, running through Delaware’s beautiful parks, and hanging with the people she loves the most.
- How do careers choose us and how do we choose them?
- Sarah helps people find good work.
- A trigger can cause action but that can cause fear and lead to inaction.
- When we don’t act, we don’t reach our potential.
- We have lots of doubts over our work lives.
- Maybe we’ve staled? Maybe we’re not good enough?
- If you’re constantly starting and stopping you have to ask yourself what is making you stop.
- Is my approach off?
- Job boards are reactive, not proactive.
- It’s not always who we know, but who we choose to meet.
- Only 20% of jobs that are open are advertised on paid job boards.
- Three tips from Sarah:
- You need to change the question in your head from will they hire me to do I want to work here.
- This is not a forever decision.
- Know what you want.
- Spend time thinking about it.
Sarah Baker Andrus’ Recharge Round
- What habit do you think has lead to success in your life? Sarah doesn’t commit lightly to habits. She tells herself that once she’s decided, the decision is made.
- What’s the simple positive action that you take each day to move forward to achieve your goals? She sustains positive energy through mindfulness practice and meditation.
- What’s your biggest life lesson and what have you learned from it? Her dad taught her to be a life-long learner.
Connect with Sarah:
Subscribe to Sarah’s “10 Days to Jump Start Your Job Search”: avarahcareers.com/subscribe
Click HERE for Sarah’s Career Breakthrough Workbook
Gary’s new book is available! You can purchase it at CultivatePositiveCulture.com